Now side note: i’m not putting down anyone who follows a meal plan. I’m also not stating that a meal plan is never a good idea. Many people with medical concerns or health issues need to follow a very strict meal plan. Often, meal plans can also help jump start healthy habits. However, that doesn’t mean that in all situations they should be relied on for life. They should be used as a resource and teaching method, not the ultimate guide. With many of my solely weight loss clients, I like to take the no meal plan approach.
This is why I try not to just write you a meal plan:
- If I give you a meal plan, will you be able to come up with your own plan once it’s completed? I want all my clients to understand the various meal components and be able to form a meal whether at home or out- knowing full well that you can create a balanced, nutritious meal that is going to help your body run. It’s important to understand the information that is discussed, not just be able to read the next meal on a page.
- Will you gain all your weight back if you stray from the plan? Sure a strict meal plan will help you lose the weight, but will you be able to keep it off without consulting the meal plan? The ideal situation is to create a healthy lifestyle where no foods are off limits, but are eaten in the right “context”. Understanding how foods fit in will allow the incorporation of all foods into your life!
- Do you want to have to eat something if you don’t have a taste for it? A meal plan has a specific group of foods for each meal. What happens if you decide that on Tuesday you don’t want to eat salmon, but it’s on the meal plan for dinner? Working to understand the type of food that salmon is will allow the substitution of another food in its place, giving the body the nutrition it needs for that meal.
- Do you want to measure your food for the rest of your life? Carrying around measuring cups daily would become quite cumbersome. The goal is to identify and comprehend the messages and cues the body sends, so YOU can determine your proper portion size and when you’re full.
- Do you want me to be in control of your weight loss? Of course not! You don’t want someone else to get the credit for something you ultimately did! Doesn't it feel much better knowing that you're in control by having the foundation and knowledge to lose weight and keep it off!
I'm here to help anyone understand the information they need to create healthy habits for life. With a little help, you can free yourself from the meal plan life and learn to eat for your body!